Em. prof. dr. Jacques van Dinteren is founder and president of the Innovation Area Development Partnership IADP. He is also the owner of Zjak Consult, a spatial-economic consultancy firm.
My specialisation lies in spatial economic developments and planning. I analyse and advise on different types of work locations and multifunctional areas, and carry out market research for the (re)development of cities and parts thereof. I also focus on specific themes such as regional economic development strategies and the spatial consequences of new ways of working.
In recent years, I have focused on so-called innovation areas: science parks, innovation districts and industrial innovation areas. Together with Paul Jansen, I am the Founding Partner of IADP: the Innovation Area Development Partnership. In this partnership, consultancies and management of innovation areas work together. IADP is a member of IASP, the International Association of Science Parks and Areas of Innovation.
I work or have worked on projects in the Netherlands, Curaçao, Belgium, France, Germany, Russia, Nigeria, Iran, Cameroon, Mauritius, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain.
I enjoy writing about research results in professional journals. A selection of my articles can be downloaded at Researchgate.net and SlideShare.com.
- Foundation Nijmegen City (1975 – 1980), researcher (volunteer)
- Council of European Municipalities (1980), researcher
- Radboud University, Geography and Planning Institute (1981-1985), scientific researcher
- Bureau Goudappel Coffeng (1985-1990), project manager spatial-economic research
- Kolpron Consultants (now Ecorys; 1991-1994), director, Spatial Economics and Real Estate
- Buck Consultants International (1995-2004), partner, Spatial Economics and Real Estate.
- The University of Groningen, Spatial Planning Department (2007-2013), professor of Economic Geography by special appointment
- Royal HaskoningDHV (2004 – 2016), product manager Spatial Economy and Planning, Urban Development International.
Projects & publications (selection)
The following is limited to Innovation Areas. An extended version of other types of projects is available.
- Preparing a taxonomy of innovation areas (member of a working group; commissioned by the Joint Research Centre, European Committee)
- Market research, concept, program of requirements and development strategy for NeuroScience & Diagnostics Park, Drunen, The Netherlands (together with Caudata Hendriks Bouw & Ontwikkeling, The Netherlands)
- Study of the property investment potential in European Life Science parks (together with Caudata; Base Investments, Europe)
- Assessment of and advice on the development of the S/Park in Deventer, the Netherlands (Court of Audit Deventer)
- Development strategy & governance for the Novio Tech Campus in Nijmegen, The Netherlands (together with Caudata; NTC, The Netherlands)
- Development potential for an innovation district in the municipality of Tilburg, the Netherlands ( Rebel Group / municipality of Tilburg, the Netherlands)
- Offering insight in the development of innovation districts (Accelerated Melbourne)
- Advice on area management Campus Groningen, the Netherlands (Campus Groningen)
- Research into trends in life sciences, analysis of target groups and translation into a functional concept for the development of Utrecht Science Park Bilthoven, the Netherlands (Poonawalla Science Park, India).
- Advising on a model aimed at assessing the investment opportunities in innovation areas (commissioned by ASR Dutch Science Park Fund: carried out together with Caudata)
- Research paper for Campus Groningen, aimed at visualising the success factors in the development and management of science parks (Triade, Groningen, The Netherlands).
- Quick scan of the possibilities for housing on Science Park Twente (Municipality of Enschede, The Netherlands).
- Analysis of investment opportunities in innovation areas in a number of countries in Western Europe (in collaboration with Caudata, commissioned by Kadans Science Partner).
- Market analysis, concept development and master plan for an industrial innovation campus for Solvay in Brussels (in cooperation with KCAP, ARUP and Caudata; private party).
- Analysis of qualities of potential satellite locations for Utrecht Science Park (Foundation Utrecht Science Park, The Netherlands).
- Market analysis and concept development for the master plan for Airport City Imam Khomeini International Airport, including a science park, Tehran, Iran (national government).
- Feasibility analysis, concept development and urban plan for business and science park Vnukovo, Moscow (Comstrin, Russia).
- Economic perspectives for the medical sector in the wider Arnhem-Nijmegen region (Netherlands Association for Industry and Trade, Nijmegen Branch, The Netherlands).
- Market analysis, programme of requirements and master plan for Science Park Ghent (together with Studiegroep Omgeving; City of Ghent, Belgium).
- Science parks: innovation or image? Comparative research on Dutch science parks. Own research.
- R&D related real estate as interesting real estate object (together with Prof. Willem Keeris; commissioned by Hendriks Vastgoed and Kadans).
- A comparative study of science parks in the Middle East (group of private investors).
- Concept for the White Biotechnology Campus Delft (DSM, The Netherlands).
- Concept for the ENCI Campus, Maastricht (ENCI, The Netherlands / Belgium).
- Market analysis and development plan for the JITG Science Park in Amman, Jordan (consortium of private parties).
- Real estate analysis of Dutch science parks (Kadans Vastgoed; in cooperation with Caudata).
- Real estate strategy for Pivot Science Park, Oss (municipality of Oss and province of Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands; in cooperation with Caudata).
- Route to a reinforced park management on Utrecht Science Park (together with Twynstra Gudde; Utrecht Science Park Foundation, The Netherlands).
- Market analysis, concept and urban plan for the Automotive Campus in Helmond (municipality of Helmond, The Netherlands).
- Vision development and process management for Zernike Science Park in Groningen (Steering group Het Akkoord van Groningen, The Netherlands).
- Feasibility analysis, concept development and urban development for Novio Tech Campus, Nijmegen (Municipality of Nijmegen, NXP, Oost NV; The Netherlands).
- Feasibility analysis, concept development and urban development for the NXP site in Nijmegen (NXP).
- Dinteren, Jacques van (2007), Science parks en universiteiten: worden we er wijzer van? In Real Estate Magazine, oktober, pp. 26 – 31.
- Dinteren, Jacques van (2009), Science parks: economic engines or a real estate concept? In: Real Estate Research Quarterly, September, pp. 20 – 24.
- Dinteren, Jacques van (2009), Science parks: economic engines or a real estate concept? Paper for the ERES-conference 2009, Stockholm, 25 – 27 June 2009.
- Dinteren, Jacques van, Debbie Pfaff (2011), Science park: innovatie of imago? In: Real Estate Magazine, no. 32, pp. 32 – 37.
- Dinteren, Jacques van (2012), Science parks in The Netherlands. Stimulating innovation or just iconic for firms? 41st Annual Conference of Regional Science Association International, British and Irish Section, Galway, Ireland, August 2012.
- Dinteren, Jacques van, Willem Keeris (2013), Durf te investeren in vastgoed waar research wordt verricht. In: Financieel Dagblad, 7 oktober, p. 8.
- Dinteren, Jacques van, Willem Keeris (2014), Innovatie vraagt om investeren in R&D-vastgoed. In: Real Estate Research Quaterly, april, pp. 26 – 34.
- Dinteren, Jacques van, Frank Werner and Laurens Tait (2017), Managing the ecosystem. Paper for the world conference of the International Association of Science Parks and Innovation Areas (IASP) in Istanbul, September 2017.
- Dinteren, J., P. Jansen en N. Lettink (2017), Ruimte voor kennisontwikkeling. Van science park tot innovatiedistrict. In: Management en Organisatie, 3 / 4, pp. 65 – 82.
- Dinteren, Jacques van, and Paul Jansen (2018), The role of universities in Innovation Districts. Paper for the world conference of the International Association of Science Parks and Innovation Areas (IASP) in Isfahan, Iran, September 2018.
- Bridges, Tom, P. Jansen and Jacques van Dinteren (2019), The emergence of innovation districts in the United Kingdom: progress and lessons. Paper for the 36th world conference of the International Association of Science Parks and Innovation Areas (IASP) in Nantes (France), September 2019.
- Dinteren, Jacques van, Paul Jansen (2019), The 4th Industrial Revolution: considerations for science parks to remain competitive. Paper for the 36th world conference of the International Association of Science Parks and Innovation Areas (IASP) in Nantes (France), September 2019.
- Dinteren, Jacques van, and Paul Jansen (2021), Areas of Innovation. Published by the Innovation Area Development Partnership (IADP).
- Pype, Roy; Eva Logonder and Dinteren, Jacques van (2022), Successfully designing a knowledge environment. Paper for the 39th world conference of the International Association of Science Parks and Innovation Areas (IASP) in Seville (Spain), September 2022.